“[S]ocial media is not a lesser form of communication; it is as worthy of a disciplinary hearing as anything said out loud.” – Rhiannon Lucy Cosslett
- Use RSS or email alerts for searches (where possible) so that you don’t have to keep going back to websites to run the same search.
- do placements not volunteering
- keep up on your current awareness
- join a professional body (it’s cheap for students and GTs)
- attend training courses and events (look out for the free and cheap ones)
- join peer networks like the Manchester NLPN
- share job opportunities with friends and peers – they may well do the same in return!
Overall, this was a great afternoon and it’s certainly got me thinking about ways to get my personal brand shipshape and ready for the competitive jobs market that lies ahead.